I’ve tried using the regulator in the stove but no gas comes out. When I used the regulator on the 20# tank and bypassed the stove’s regulator, too much gas came out (although we did successfully bake a nice pizza!) Is my stove set up for natural gas instead? How do I find out?
This is a temporary hook-up until we get a permanent tank installed outdoors.
Thanks for your answers, clues and suggestions!
Don’t play with this! The pizza you baked was most likely toxic, because the oven was heated with too much gas and not enough air, yellow flames. The perfect flame of a gas stove is supposed to be blue.
Your gas stove is most likely as you said set up for natural gas. It can be changed over to propane (different size nozzles and air mixture adjustment for the burners) which has to be done by a certified gas furnace repair man. The cost involved may be questionable, it might be better to buy a used propane gas stove and forget the one you’re playing around with now.
The gas cylinder must be placed outside, all connections must be tested for leaks, because propane gas can be extremely explosive and could lift your cottage off of it’s foundation.
Also a warning in additiion:
Never use a gas stove for any extended time to possibly heat the place. Gas flames produce Carbon Monoxide, which can lead to death or brain damage in a very short time. I would recommend a carbon monoxide detector for safety.